Friday, March 2, 2012

First Friday Art Festival


My thoughts of tonights Burningman: So the kids n I decided to venture out to First Friday in the Arts District. I was disappointed not being able to find an artist I saw at the last event because I really wanted to purchase one of her paintings :( bummer! I did however get to grab one of the delicious zucchini burritos tht I crave for the entire month in between first fridays! We also indulged in deep fried chocolate chip cookie dough! The streets were filled with a very eclectic crowd of people which is one of the reasons I love Vegas, the melting pot. It's never a surprise to walk past someone on stilts, or with balloons shaped as an umbrella hanging over head, girls wearing close to nothing with gobs of makeup on, "wait, am i in the club?" lol ...I love seeing people express themselves , walking art is how i see it. Self expression is a beautiful thing. To me tonights event was a mix between hedonism, woodstock, the circus, all wrapped into a street festival. Where anything goes. Anyways, I ran into a very talented new friend, and he gave us a tour of his gallery and studio, which was very inspiring to me. I really need to get focused again!! Thanks again Tobi! I can't wait to get together again! I also ran into my friend that just returned from Peru, and can't wait to get together for coffee and hear all about her trip. So on a different note, I was excited to see what the burningman event entailed and hadn't had much time to research it, and me being a newby out here hadn't heard of the event that's actually been going on for a decade in the Black Rock Desert. So we made our way through the crowd and found us a spot, which wasn't that great considering all of us were under 5'5" lol but nevertheless we stood there listening to the dubstep mix and waiting to see them burn lucky lady lucy. While standing there, not surprising to any of us, we smelled weed n I really didn't feel like catching a contact buzz so we decided to move to the back of the crowd. They lit up the lights and the picture I'm gonna post is what Ana pointed out to me. It was at tht moment that I for some reason became uncomfortable with the whole thing. Lights in the shape of a pentagram. Now to each his own, and I know that symbols only have power if you give it to them, but Carissa had the worst feeling ever and asked if we could leave 10xs before we saw this. I believe in self expression like I said and maybe I'm overreacting but I didn't see the reasoning behind them orchestrating the lights to such a degree to make this symbol in the sky for everyone to see. Needless to say we left. Just my thoughts.......





No comments:

Post a Comment