Monday, July 4, 2011

"Anam Cara" The Friends of your Soul....

For as long as I can remember I have always believed people come into our lives for a reason. Weather we ever realize that reason or not is irrelevant, but when you do open up your mind and figure it out its an incredible feeling. I have been blessed to have a handful of amazing people in my life that are truly the "friends of my soul". The kinds of friends that call at the right moment. I could be having a bad day and one of my friends will call me and turn it all around. I could be driving in my car and one of them will pop into my head and I'll get a smile on my face and the next thing I know they are texting me or calling me, and when I tell them I was just thinking about them they say the same. I might be in a dark place for a minute as we all are at some point and it seems like nothing will free me from it, and one of them will say something to me that touches me in a way and is almost like an awakening, and I completely come out of my funk. The type of people who come into your life and your having a conversation with sharing something your passionate about and they get the chills from the energy your giving off or visa versa...Incredible!!  I am in an amazing place in my life right now and I have been able to step back and take a look at the people in my life that I consider the "friends of my soul" and I realize why and for what purpose each and everyone of them has been brought to me for. They all serve their purpose so to speak. I can only hope that I too can serve a purpose to my friends and bring them happiness and be there when they need me the most. I believe more people need to slow down a bit and be grateful for who has entered their lives and take the time to be in the moment with their "friends of their soul" and enjoy them to the fullest. :) I believe I have always known these people were special to me in some form in my life, but the place I am in right now has given me the insight to be able to recognize the true purpose of our friendships. Not all may recognize this in their lives and that may be because they are not in a place where they are even comfortable with their selves.
~In Celtic Spiritual tradition, it is believed that the soul radiates all about the physical body what some refer to as an aura. When you connect with another person and become completely open and trusting with that individual, your two souls begin to flow together.Should such a deep bond be formed, it is said you have found your “Anam Cara” or soul friend.
Your “Anam Cara” always accepts you as you truly are, holding you in beauty and light. In order to appreciate this relationship, you must first recognize your own inner light and beauty. This is not always easy to do. The Celts believed that forming an “Anam Cara” friendship would help you to awaken your awareness of your own nature and experience the joys of others.
The “Anam Cara” was originally someone to whom you confessed, revealing the hidden intimacies of your life. With the “Anam Cara”, you could share your innermost self, your mind and your heart. This friendship was an act of recognition and belonging. When you had an “Anam Cara”, your friendship cut across all convention, morality and category. You were joined in an ancient and eternal way with the “friend of your soul”. The Celtic understanding did not set limitations of space or time on the soul. There is no cage for the soul. The soul is a divine light that flows into you and into your Other. This art of belonging awakened and fostered a deep and special companionship. When you love, you open your life to an Other. All your barriers are down. Your protective distances collapse. This person is given absolute permission to come into the deepest temple of your spirit. Your presence and life can become their ground. It takes great courage to let someone so close. Where a friendship recognizes itself as a gift, it will remain open to its own ground of blessing….. When you are blessed with an “Anam Cara”, the Irish believe, you have arrived at that most sacred place: home. This bond between friends is indissoluble: “This, I say, is what is broken by no chances, what no interval of time or space can sever or destroy, and what even death itself cannot part”.
~ from “Anam Cara…Wisdom from the Celtic World“, by John O’Donohue

1 comment: